20061025

I Responded with a Smirk, to Let Her Know we Could Work, no Matter what Time of Day of the Week it is

So, I'm going to try and post a little each day instead of a lot every two weeks.

Today was magical. First: I got my OSAP papers today. That means that in one business week all my worries for this term will be solved. Drinks on me at KO the day I find my balance increased.

I couldn't believe it. It was totally hassle free. For one I just showed up, gave them my student card and health card, and got my papers. I took them down to the government representative, he got me to write a bunch of things on them, and then I left.

It was that easy.

Then, I continued my amazing trend of getting things without any work:

There is a table in the Student Life Centre. This is not uncommon. It appears that the SLC makes its money by whoring out these tables to the highest bidder. On any given day I'm as likely to be accosted by the Campus Crusade for Christ as I am to be hit on by a girl lecturing people about compulsive gambling. Every few months a woman sells fudge, but it's cash-only, so I've never bought any. Last year there were a couple of south american guys who would set up a table with all sort of cool stuff. One of them tried to strike up a conversation with me about the great latin jazz drummers, until he realized that I knew nothing about them.

Anyway, I was stumbling around the SLC last week looking for people who wanted to give me free things. And I found the next-best thing: People who wanted to give me a free water-bottle for applying for a MasterCard. So I did. And I walked away with the water-bottle. Now, that wasn't the only thing on offer. They had a large selection of T-shirts. But they were mostly sports teams and seriously, the water bottle clearly beats out any old shirt.

So today, I was walking through the SLC again, numb from a dearth of free things being offered to me. Then I saw it: The same company, hocking the same cards, at a different table. But now they were giving away backpacks. So I took the only normal course of action: I applied again. Also, having just come from the OSAP office, I had a detailed idea of my earnings for the year and my loan amount in my head, so my second application probably stands a better chance of being accepted anyway. And now I have a backpack that I can dedicate to transporting all the cables and odds/ends of my Computer around when I want to LAN up with people.

In other news, I've been watching some more anime: I got reasonably speedy torrents on Vampire Hunter D and Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust. The first is the original anime. This film is a year older than me. I'd like to say it was decent, but it was terrible. Anime has come a long way in 21 years. Bloodlust came out in 2000 and is a much better film in pretty much every way. Unfortunately, it finished before the original so I watched it first. It was a pretty massive disappointment. I won't bother getting into the plot for two reasons: 1) anyone who knows what I'm talking about has either seen it or has easy access to it 2) anyone else probably doesn't care.

So that's my story. A day full of scores, and nights full of vampire hunting.

This is Liam Motherfuckin "waiting for my Ruca (and my Ruca I mean "OSAP and credit cards")" Danger McKenna, signing off.

PS: A list of words which FireFox 2.0's automatic spell-checker has told me are wrong: OSAP, SLC, american, latin, Mastercard, anime, bloodlust, Ruca, and McKenna

7 comments:

Ben said...

I keep trying to convince my boss to allow me to hand out free marital aids to people who sign up for a lifetime membership at the store.

Unfortunately memberships are free and most rubber cocks start at over twenty dollars.

Ben

Danger said...

Excuse me? EXCUSE ME?!?

When did "Danger" become YOUR middle name.

*Punches you*

Let that be a warning to you.

Maranatha said...

*Absorbs your punch with manly frame*

I'll

*sniffle*

get you for that

*sniffle*

or my name isn't Liam "kicks you in the balls and bicycles away" Danger McKenna

Ben said...

I notice you have not posted today.

You lied to me.


You lied to all of us.


I hope you die cold and alone.

Ben (fuck your bicycle) Eybergen

Maranatha said...

I said I was going to try.

In fact, while I was talking to you today, I got about halfway through a post about why religious people have been bothering me lately. Then I realized that I had a couple of thngs wrong, and without them it wasn't really worth making a post about. It would simply have degenerated into nonsensical whining about people who believe in god(s).

So I didn't post it.

Ben said...

sounds like somebody's waffling.

dan said...

co-op information sessions at TC and sometimes the University Club are where the real free stuff is at. Unfortunately the last one was Tuesday night.

Since September, I've gotten a ton of t-shirts, a laptop bag, a backpack, silly puddy, a screwdriver, a calculator/ruler, one of those thermal coffee mugs, an ATI branded stapler, a bunch of fancy pens, 32MB and 256MB usb keys, and god knows how much free campus pizza, and on occasion sandwiches. there was also draws for expensive shit like psps, digital cameras, dvd players.