20060923

Now the Time is Here, For Iron Man to Spread Fear, Vengeance from the Grave, Kills the People he Once Saved

Bonus points to anyone who's going to come to my house with the album that I pulled those lyrics from and end my musical drought.

I was hoping to tell Part 2 of the amazing adventure I had with Blake and Jordan the other night. However since Blake moaned and whined about how he wanted to do part 1 (which was fine, really, I didn't care which part I did), and he hasn't done it yet, I can't.

So instead I'm going to insert some filler material.

I walked into calculus class yesterday with a smile on my face. The same ridiculous smile which had graced it for the past week, in fact. This is due largely to a new calculus initiative which I have pioneered with Tyler, his girlfriend Julie, and our other friend Ben (who shall be called Willis to avoid confusion and copyright issues on the name "Ben").

Here's how it went:

10.20: We finish our Exercise Physiology lecture and head out into the great unknown. Usually we eat lunch and see what's happening in the Student Life Centre (This week it was the poster sale. Earlier this week I picked up a Fear and Loathing poster for myself. You know the one. Or maybe you don't. If by "you" I mean a Google image search. Anyway, it's a rockin poster. You'll have to come to my house and see it some time).

11.00: We get bored. We still have about 18 minutes before we need to go to calculus, which is about 45 seconds away in the Math Castle. This is a blur for me. I honestly can't remember what we did. Probably just sat in the lounge and talked.

11.15: Boredom reaches critical levels. We decide to go early to calculus. Now, listen carefully: Going to calculus early goes against the "new initiative" mentioned above entirely. It is of prime importance that we show up for calculus only seconds before the section before us start to pack up and get out of their seats. We enter the Math Castle, turn the corner and go down the hallway towards our class. Right before we make the final turn to come down to the classroom door, sense returns to us and we stop. We retreat to a nearby stairwell to wait out the remaining minutes.

11.19: We walk back to calculus. We take our time, walking at an amiable pace. I take the lead, looking straight ahead, projecting calm and radiating quiet controlled purpose. This is essential for the seamless implementation of the initiative.

As we round the final corner, the clasroom is a scant 20 meters away. But lining the hallway on both sides are the keeners. They are the people (mostly asian, but that seems to be a bigger deal for Tyler and Willis than for me) who have been sitting in that hallway for at least half an hour, waiting for calculus to begin. They are also the people who casually assume the best seats in the class while the section before them is still [acking up and leaving the room.

You see, the keeners will usually go totally unchalenged in that regard, because class doesn't actually start until 11:30. This is why it is essential to come at 11:20, to have a hope of beating the keeners. But that's not all that you need. You have to be first in line. You see, the keeners have probably spent years showing up early and snagging the best spots. They know how much time they have, and they use it effectively. But by getting there ahead of the keeners, you can trot into the room and snag the best seats before they can get off the of the floor they've been sitting on the shuffle over to the doorway.

And that is why it's so important to be calm and collected as you walk down the hallway, past all of the keeners, right up to the classroom door, in order to get ahead of them. Once you're there, what are they going to say? "I'm sorry, I've been waiting to get into this lecture for 20 minutes. That seat in the first row right beside the centre aisle is mine, bitch-san!"

Of course, if they did, I'd just have to say something like "No". And then jog in, drop my bag onto the desk, and slip into the seat. Or hover over the person vacating the seat until I can jump onto it.

So, yeah. That's why I smile every time I go to calculus. And usually that feeling lasts all the way through the lecture. I sit within spitting distance of the prof, back straight, shoulders square, burning holes in the desk with my note-taking speed, trying not to laugh while he talks in his uproarously funny Indian accent. Tyler and Willis talk all class, usualy about how drunk Willis was the night before. Julie usually manages a mix between the 3 of us.

In other news, I've been hitting this up as a way to stave off musial malnutrition. You can find the whole deal here.

Also, some of you may have noticed the picture I put up. I thought it was nice. It came up on an image search for Maranatha. But what also came up was this. I think that if I had enough money I would definately invest in some of their product.

Keep you hands where I can see them.

5 comments:

HurleyGirly said...

Liam, I really think that you should buy one of those t-shirts or a sticker or something.
also you must call me!
i'm having computer/router problems. i need your help. i have no idea what i'm doing!
i called your house many times, however your roomates refuse to go actually find out if you are around/alive, but they have stuck a message on the phone for you.
call me
i need you!

**Ellen

Ben said...

I am pleased to hear that there was no contest over the usage of my name by another person.

In the past, such disputes were resolved through a fight to the death. By which I mean, I showed up, and the competition ran away.

I admire Willis' testicular fortitude for possessing such a manly name.

But cross me, and I'll saw you in half with my fist.

Be Strong,

Ben

Jenni said...

Liam, what were you doing looking up 'Maranatha'? Tis a house I lived in this summer at l'Arche!
loVAH!

Jenn

Wolfgang said...

Im glad to hear your enjoying the mathematical world of calculus, because I couldnt be happier to be done with it.

As you you miss ellen, I am hurt. I am the one who helps liam. im hurt that my PC expertise is not wanted.

Anyway, everying keep an eye for for another post tonight on my blog.

Peace out

Ben said...

Learn to spell, dammit!